Monday, June 11, 2012

U.S.N.


Here are a few steps that led me to signing a contract with the United States Navy.  I realized that I had the characteristics, desire, and abilities to do police work in 2003.  I knew at that time I had the talent and mindset to be naturally drawn to law enforcement (and a ton of family who are in law enforcement). It hit me like a brick to the head that this was in my blood.  In 2006 I graduated the 8 month Reserve Officer Law Enforcement Academy and reserved with a local P.D. for just a few months. 

 I then left because I really felt I needed to check out a few other career options prior to really devoting myself to law enforcement.  That seemed to have paved the way for a very rough road ahead.  From 2006-2011 I interviewed roughly 20 times with police departments all over the state.  Several times I was one of the top candidates but it just never panned out.  I don’t have a degree, I am not female (no offense ladies), and I am not bilingual. This left me in the “dime a dozen” category.

 Clearly I started to doubt myself and really just had no other direction I felt even remotely interested in.  I tried searching for a career that would offer me the physical and mental challenges I need in a profession.  Finally I came to the conclusion that military would suit me great as well.   I have an uncle that was a Commander in the Navy, an uncle in the Army, my brother was in the Air Force, and the list goes on.  Also makes sense that maybe this was the route I was designed by God to take.  After much prayer and discussion we, as a family, began researching which branch to join.  The cut off age for Air Force and Coast Guard is 27, so that wasn’t going to work.  So I was left with Army, Marines, and Navy.    

   I chose Navy simply because I believe it will be the best fit for us as a family.  I started the process of joining the Navy in November.  This also proved to be a difficult and stressful process of jumping a lot of hoops with the kids, our house, injuries from racing, etc.  Needless to say, we got it handled and I am sworn into the Navy as a Master at Arms. 

   I leave in fourteen days.  Most people spend 6 months or more in the DEP (Delayed Entry Program- waiting to ship to boot camp).  I had a little over a month and a half.  So I have been doing a lot of studying and exercising.  I believe I am prepared for boot camp.  The toughest obstacle I will face won’t be found in Great Lakes, Illinois.  My toughest obstacle(s) will be my children at home.  I have never been away from them like this.  However, I do believe kids are resilient and they will adapt to the new changes we will encounter.  It will be at night time when everything is finally quiet that I will really dwell on the girls being at home and me not being there.  I have no doubt I will cry on some nights, and I am not afraid to admit that.   
 There are a lot of unknowns that have me stressed such as deployments (at least 6 months away from family at a time), what my working conditions will actually be like, and also currently we have no idea where we will live.  I know in my heart we still made the right decision but it will be hard.  We will do much relying on friends, family, and church to help us along our path. 

   I am most likely just going to fulfill the contracts 4 year commitment and then get out.  The next 4 years are going to cause me to grow emotionally, physically, and mentally.  Looking 4 years down the road, I can smile about that.  I look forward to being challenged.  I look forward to seeing what “I am made of”.  Also, this may be my only chance in this life to see the world like this.  So if you pray, please pray.  If you don’t believe in prayer, keep us in your thoughts. This will be a struggle for us, but we know it will work out just as it was intended to.   Thanks for being there for us.  

2 comments: